Addictive behavior lies on a continuum. For some of us, our tendency to compulsively engage in a particular behavior may not affect our everyday functioning. For example, many people may engage in a pattern of ritualistic jogging. This may be considered a positive addiction because the activity promotes physical fitness and can release endorphins which elevate one’s mood and behavior. If, however, the jogger begins to dismiss friendships, social activities, and responsibilities to sustain the jogging pattern, then the activity takes on a different meaning. Furthermore, many joggers may become so obsessive about their interests that they begin experiencing significant weight loss, making them appear too thin and fostering body misperception problems.
People struggle with addictive patterns such as weight gain, gambling, sexual addictions, eating disorders, compulsive shopping, and self-cutting.
Are there any common characteristics or features that link all of the various addictions into a pattern? The following is perception of the common threads that link all addictive behaviors:
* Most addictive behaviors are an attempt at avoiding unpleasant and painful experiences.
* Most addictive urges and cravings are triggered by underlying self-defeating beliefs.
* Most people with addictions experience masked emotional problems such as anxiety, depression, and obsessive-compulsive characteristics.
* Most addictions are fueled by thwarted anger and self-blame, particularly among adolescents.
* Shame-based beliefs and feelings are at the core of all addictions.
* Most people who experience addictions complete a ¡§repetition cycle¡¨ of abuse. The cycle starts with experiencing an urge, yielding to the cravings, feeling numb with a decrease in anxiety, manifesting guilt and remorse, followed by an escalation of anxiety and a repeat of the cycle.
* The primary goal of addictive behavior is to decrease anxiety.
People who experience addictions that are affecting their lifestyle and relationships can benefit from finding a quality counselor who is trained in addressing issues related to addiction treatment. There are also many outpatient and inpatient treatment programs within the Phoenix metropolitan area available to assist children and adults experiencing addictive behavior. If you think you might have a problem with addictions, make sure you get some professional help. You can now get the best treatment for all kinds of addiction at our rehabilitation centre in Delhi. You can contact us through our website to get more details.